necessity and justification of general anesthesia has no one no doubt.In the surgical sector, medicine, general anesthesia is necessary as air.In addition, this method is used dentists in particularly unpleasant situations, gynecologists (in certain pathologies), as well as many other specialties doctors.
General anesthesia is definitely needed, but do not forget that the loss of consciousness by means of medical stunning nervous system - a critical situation for the body, which has a number of side effects and complications.
That is why there is a very difficult medical specialty - anesthesiologist.
Before the anesthesia doctor tells in detail about the risks and adverse reactions.As a rule, patients are introduced to typical complications, as well as individual risks associated with age, pathologies of the cardiovascular system, cancer pathology, etc.
- 1 nausea after anesthesia
- 2 pain when swallowing or talking, and dry mouth
- 3 headache after general anesthesia
- 4 Sopor (disturbance of perception) after surgery
- 5 Tremors in the body after surgery
- 6 itching after anesthesia
- 7 Spinal pain after surgery
- 8 Muscle pain after anesthesia
- 9 Injury lips, tongue,or teeth during surgery
- 10 Postoperative pulmonary infection
- 11 Awakening during the transaction
- 12 nerve damage in the course of spinal or epidural anesthesia
- 13 Anaphylactic shock during operation
- 14 Gallery: rare complications during anesthesia
- 15 damaged eyeball
nausea after anesthesia
The most commonside effect of anesthesia.It occurs in every third case. Of course, local (regional) anesthesia this complication occurs much less frequently.
there are some general principles to reduce the chance of nausea after anesthesia:
- Do not rush to get up after the operation, the more so - to run somewhere.Your body does not know that you are an important busy man, he understands only that his first stunned chemicals, and now for some reason, shaking.As a result - may vomit at the wrong time;
- not drink and do not eat within 3 hours after surgery;
- If you are concerned about severe pain (wrong titrated anesthetic, for example), you do not have to suffer - tell the nurse or doctor, becausemay vomit from the pain;
- try to breathe deeply and slowly When the nausea.The saturation of the tissues with oxygen reduces the risk of nausea.
pain when swallowing or talking, and dry mouth
After endotracheal anesthesia (the most popular form of general anesthesia), the pain may occurthroat, pain when swallowing or talking.These are consequences of not quite successful intubation.This is due, as a rule, with the anatomical features of the patient, at least - with negligence anesthesiologist.The pain of this kind has been held for a few hours after anesthesia.Sometimes the disappearance of this adverse event takes 2-3 days.
If postoperative sore throat is not gone in 2 days - please contact your physician.Rather - handset injured tracheal mucosa.
headache after general anesthesia
This complication is more common in women, especially prone to migraines and headaches in general.Medications, stress on the body from the surgical procedure itself, patient fears - the reasons for the vascular spasm, and headaches enough.
Headache of this kind takes place 2-3 hours after the procedure.
On the other hand - a headache is a typical complication of spinal and epidural anesthesia, what the patient should alert the doctor in such cases.
Vertigo can be due to the transient decrease in blood pressure, and - as a result of dehydration.Patients also may celebrate weakness, until-headed.
Sopor (disturbance of perception) after surgery
common in older patients.The nervous system of the anesthesia is having some difficulties in the purification of cells and recovery of cognitive functions: memory deteriorates temporarily, may be deviant behavior.Fortunately, all these problems are temporary and gradually leveled out (up to 2 weeks).
reasons for this kind of complications related to both elderly metabolic characteristics, and psychological trauma from the fact of the operation.Increased load also creates fellowship with strangers in an unfamiliar (frightening) setting.
In elective surgery in an elderly person can reduce the severity of this complication as follows:
- Try (if condition allows) to lead an active lifestyle prior to surgery;
- If there is an opportunity to manipulation under local anesthesia - and do;
- If you live with a family - try to negotiate with your doctor about the most rapid return home after surgery;
- Check if you have taken drugs to the hospital to show you (from hypertension, for example), reading glasses and books (journals, drafts, etc.);
- Do not drink alcohol before and after anesthesia.
Tremors in the body after surgery
Many patients after recovery from anesthesia beats trembling.Dangers of a state of health is not, but pretty annoying patient.Paroxysms of this kind lasted no more than half an hour.Type anesthesia in this case is not important - the cause of cooling tissue during surgery (to act as the individual features of the microcirculation, diabetes, atherosclerosis in a patient).
only thing that can be done to prevent this state - not freeze before the operation (to the hospital to take warm clothes in the cold season).
Itching after anesthesia
In some cases, the doctor did not put notified of the patient's allergic reactions.Sometimes - the patient is not aware of the presence in their allergies.For this reason, can develop skin reactions manifested by itching, what you should immediately inform your doctor.Often this kind of excesses are caused by morphine and some other means that used for anesthesia.
Spinal pain after surgery
With spinal anesthesia, pain may be caused by a traumatic factor, so the appearance of pain in the lumbar and any other spine - Tell your doctor.This is particularly important in cases where the back pain combined with paresis or plegia limb (restriction in mobility).
above case - a very rare complication.Most often, back pain because people for some time lying on a sufficiently solid surface of the operating table, which, combined with osteochondrosis and gives pain.
Muscle pain after anesthesia
caused by the use of the drug Ditilin, which is actively used in emergency surgery (especially when the patient is ready for surgery - a full stomach, etc..P.).Muscles hurt everyone, especially the neck, shoulders and abs.
Duration "ditilinovyh" pain is not more than 3 days after anesthesia.
All subsequent complications are fortunately quite rare, but the doctor must take into account their ability, and be prepared for them.
Injury lips, tongue or teeth during surgery
It is, in fact, not the effects of anesthesia and mechanical damage during itsproductions.Damaged teeth, on average, two of the 100,000 patients (carious usually).Before general anesthesia, it is desirable to treat caries and stomatitis.
tongue and lips slightly injured in one of the 20 patients, this should be mentally prepared.All defects podzhivaet completely within a week after anesthesia.
Postoperative pulmonary infection
infection gets into the lungs due to tracheal intubation, trauma and infection of the mucous or non-sterile tube.In addition, the cause could be either atypical anatomy of the respiratory tract of the patient, or already existing chronic disease of the respiratory system (chronic bronchitis).
To reduce the risk of postoperative pneumonia following is recommended:
- Quit smoking for six weeks before the planned operation;
- bronchitis, tracheitis, laryngitis and sinusitis (if any) need to be treated before endotracheal anesthesia;
- If after the surgery hurt you to breathe - speak immediately inform your doctor.When not enough active breathing increases the risk of infection and nosocomial infections - the most "evil".
Awakening during the transaction
It happens very rarely, anesthesiologists eliminated almost instantly.The situation of this kind occasionally occur with drug addicts, as well as persons, constantly receiving powerful analgesics (cancer patients, for example).
brain, getting used to the effects on certain centers in need in this case to a higher dose of analgesic.
If (hypothetically) you are constantly taking sleeping pills, strong pain killers, or are depending on any chemicals - tell the anesthesiologist in your best interest.
There are three varieties of this condition:
- patient wakes up during surgery and trying to move.Doctors react instantly, increasing the dose of analgesic agents.The patient in this case does not have time or really awake or feel pain;
- patient wakes up, the pain does not feel, can not move.Suffice surreal situation, however of discomfort (except psychological) the patient is not experiencing;
- patient wakes up, can not move, the pain feels.Here in this case can remain a serious injury psyche.
Nerve damage in the course of spinal or epidural anesthesia
extremely rare.Typically, these temporary damage, and tested in a month and a half at most.
One of the 50 000 patients paralysis of one or two sets of limbs after spinal or epidural anesthesia.
There is a condition due to the following factors:
- nerve is injured by an anesthesiologist during the puncture;
- nerve is damaged by the surgeon during the corresponding operations;
- patient was given the wrong position on the operating table, leading to compression of the nerve;
- The operation developed tissue edema, compressing the nerve;
- The patient was pronounced diabetes or atherosclerosis, greatly increases the likelihood of such a situation.
I would like to stress once again that the indications for this type of anesthesia - the life, and the probability of disability is only 0.0002%.
Anaphylactic shock during operation
is rare, it happens on everything.If we carefully study the instructions to any drug (not Badu), then there is bound to have a complication - idiosyncrasy (allergic reaction to the components, etc.).If such a situation develops during anesthesia (1 case out of 15,000), the anesthesiologist in 95% of cases to cope with the situation.
remaining 5% from 0.00006% of the patients die.
word - from anaphylaxis during anesthesia dies vanishingly small number of patients who worry about it not worth it.
Gallery: Rare complications during anesthesia
[wonderplugin_gridgallery id = »37"]
matter of the patient's eyeduring the operation no one is touching, but some patients due to various physiological nuances are not the fully closed eyelids.The cornea dries, it can be "pasted" from the inside of the eyelid itself.When a man wakes up and tries to open the eye - the cornea is damaged.This is manifested in the form of a dark point on the damaged eye, over time, the state is held without additional therapeutic manipulation.
All together the complications that can cause anesthesia, comparable with health benefits (including the ability to live at all) patients.Try to take into account the above risk factors for postoperative complications, and to inform them about the time of the attending physician.